Here you will find the most frequently asked questions about Judo and basic facts to help you understand what goes on in the Dojo. This section will also help clear up any misconceptions about Judo. If you are thinking about signing yourself or if you are a parent and are considering signing your child up for Judo, this is a great place to start!
- Judo does not involve kicking, punching, or striking techniques of any kind.
- There is no dangerous equipment or weapons of any sort involved.
- Techniques are taught in depth before a Judoka is asked to demonstrate them.
- Judoka are never asked to do anything they are not comfortable with.
- Respect of the sensei (teacher/instructor) and the Dojo are always practiced.
- Safety procedures are always followed in the Dojo.
- Judoka safety is always considered in the Dojo and during classes.
- All Judo senseis must be level two coaching certified and a black belt. Any sensei who is delivering a program to minors must be level two certified by September 2014.
- Judoka are always taught how to fall properly to avoid injury before being allowed to practice any other Judo techniques. Proper falling techniques are highly useful and great for any sport.
IS THERE PUNCHING AND KICKING IN JUDO?
No. Judo does not involve punching, kicking or striking techniques but rather, uses throws, holds, chokes and grappling (it looks more like wrestling than other martial arts)
WHAT IS THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF JUDO?
“Judo” is actually made of two Japanese words: “ju” and “do”.
Ju means “gentle”, and do means “the way”, so put together the word “Judo” literally translates to “the gentle way”.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF LEARNING JUDO?
The development of character, mind, and body. Judo is fun, safe, social, active, and provides a positive learning environment. It also helps build confidence and coordination and promotes anti-bullying and self protection.
WHEN ARE CLASSES FOR KIDS?
Classes are usually in the evening, with various starting times, ranging from 6 to 7pm, and are generally about 45 minutes to an hour and a half long.
HOW OLD DOES MY CHILD HAVE TO BE TO START JUDO?
Most Judo clubs accept kids from ages 6 and up.
IS JUDO SAFE FOR MY CHILD?
Yes. Judo is very safe for children. Judo instructors work closely with your children to ensure their safety, and do not push them more than they are comfortable. Instructors are also certified coaches, and are often familiar with first aid.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR MY CHILD TO ADVANCE IN BELTS?
Depending on the child, a Judoka can advance from their white belt to the next rank in six months if the child is practicing Judo twice a week and is dedicated.
WHAT MUST EVERY BEGINNER LEARN ABOUT JUDO?
How to fall (ukemi) and the rules of safety and courtesy.
WHAT KIND OF EQUIPMENT DOES JUDO USE?
There is no dangerous equipment or weapons of any sort involved. Judo requires for every Judoka to wear a “gi” (official uniform)
HOW MUCH DOES JUDO COST?
Because there is no expensive equipment, Judo is very cost effective, ranging from $30-$60 per month.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD A CHILD PRACTICE JUDO?
One to two times per week.
WHEN CAN I START JUDO?
Most clubs accept members any time of the year. You could sign up right now if you want!